Carla Hall’s Gingersnaps
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses and egg.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, but do not over mix.
- Divide dough into quarters and quarters into 1-inch logs. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Cut dough into 1/4- to 3/8-inch coins. Place coins on parchment covered sheet pan and sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Bake 5-6 minutes for chewy cookies.
- Top with Lemon Royal Icing.*
*Lemon Royal Icing: Mix one (one-pound) box confectioners’ sugar, 5 tablespoons meringue powder (or two fresh egg whites) and 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract until smooth. Add water, one teaspoon at a time, if consistency is too thick.
Joseph J. Airdo is a film critic, producer and on-air personality for Breakthrough Entertainment, a talk radio show airing 10-11 a.m. Saturdays on KPHX 1480 AM and BreakRadioShow.com that shines a spotlight on the practical perspectives of the topics and themes explored in movies. He has a pet duck named Frozen who is as opinionated about movies as he is. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.